Q1: What's meaning of PAN, LAN, MAN, WAN and internet
- PANs(Personal Area Network) let devices communicate over the range of a person. A little example are wireless mouse, wireless keyboard that based on Bluetooth.
- LAN(Local Area Network) is a privately owned network that operates within and nearby a single building like a home, office or factory. When LANs are used by companies, the are called enterprise networks". AP, wireless router, base station are LAN devices.
- MAN(Metropolitan Area Network) covers a city.
- WAN(Wide Area Network) spans a large geographical area, often a country or continent.
- Internetwork(also called internet) is a collection of interconnected networks.
Q2: what's the difference of layer and interface.
a protocol is an agreement between the communicating parties on how communication is to proceed.
A list of the protocols used by a certain system, one protocol per layer, is called a protocol stack.
Between each pair of adjacent layers is an interface.The interface defines which primitive operations and services the lower layer makes available to the upper one.
Q3: what are design issues for the layers
- error detection
- finding a working path through a network
- the evolution of the network
- resource allocation